1. The Packing (+To Do!) app, helps keep packing under control, letting users create, edit and share packing lists, as well as providing sample lists, if they do not want to start from scratch.
2. Room 77 finds the lowest rates on more than 130,000 hotels worldwide and also gives the inside scoop on each.
3. Stay.com creates a custom itinerary for travellers, compiling details of sights, restaurants, bars and hotels in hundreds of cities worldwide, based on expert suggestions and recommendations.
4. The Opera Mini mobile browser makes your web browsing a lot faster by shrinking webpages - translating into both cost and battery savings.
5. Trapster alerts road users to speed traps, red lights and speed cameras, accidents and other roadway hazards - a must when driving abroad.
6. WhatsApp is a useful way for international travellers to stay in touch with friends and family, allowing them to message other people on WhatsApp as much as they want over Wi-Fi or 3G.
7. Skype Wi-Fi gets people online with more than one million Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide, using Skype credit.
8. Postagram turns photos take on a phone into physical postcards and mails them to friends and family for a low cost.
Apps are available on Apple's App Store or Google Play.