Football round-up: Late winner ends Wokingham's unbeaten run

Published: 29 Oct 2012 12:300 comments

WOKINGHAM & Emmbrook were beaten by a stoppage-time winner at Hellenic Premier Division leaders Marlow on Saturday.

Bracknell Town's Tom Barratt jumps a Newbury player. Pic by Alicia Field 126653.

Bracknell Town's Tom Barratt jumps a Newbury player. Pic by Alicia Field 126653.

Marlow have now opened up a three-point gap at the top of the table following their 2-1 win over the Satsumas.

An early Marcus Mealing goal and a last-minute winner from Ian Davies sufficed for Marlow, with Jack Gibbs netting for Wokingham.

Binfield continued the momentum of last week's midweek cup win with a 4-2 victory over Shrivenham.

Jordan Rowland scored his first goal for the Moles with a sweetly-curled free-kick just before the half-hour mark.

Conceding a soft equaliser before half time wasn't in Binfield's script, but when Garry Sargeant restored the lead minutes into the second half, it looked like the Moles would win comfortably.

A helping hand from Shrivenham's keeper, who saw red, and Seb Bowerman's introduction late on sparked an improvement and he set up Jemel Johnson for the third, then scored the fourth after Shrivenham pulled back to 3-2.

Steve Leighfield and Chris Rivers scored for Shrivenham.

Ascot United crashed out of the Reading Senior Cup to Division One East opponents Finchampstead in a pulsating cup tie at the Racecourse.

All five goals were scored in a crazy opening half an hour that saw Finch eventually hold on for a 3-2 win.

Greg Alexander scored twice for Finch before Joe Gritt halved the deficit from 40 yards. Scott Hunter made it 3-1

and Ascot could only add a second through Jack Smilie.

Bracknell Town took Hellenic Premier opponents Newbury to extra-time but eventually lost 4-2.

The Robins took the lead early through Liam Alleyne but were pegged back at the break.

Joint-boss Steve Nebbett regained Robins' advantage in the second half, finishing from Sam Barratt's pass, before debutant Harry Brown conceded a penalty.

Chris Adams saved the kick to keep Robins ahead, but Newbury levelled on 78 minutes to take the tie into extra time.

The West Berkshire side were the better side in the added 30 minutes and scored twice to seal victory.

Sandhurst Town lost 3-0 to Chessington & Hook United in Combined Counties Premier Division while Eversley suffered their biggest defeat of the season in Division One, going down 6-0 at home to Mole Valley SCR.

Top scorer and captain Matt Baker was sent off in the second half when the Boars were already two goals down.

* For full reports and pictures see Thursday's News

Jump to first paragraph.


Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.