Police close illegal rave

Published: 7 Jan 2013 17:0031 comments

POLICE closed down an illegal rave in Crowthorne on Saturday night.

Thames Valley Police says it was called at 10.26pm to Crowthorne Woods and went to investigate half an hour later. Officers found about 200 people were in attendance with up to ten vehicles.

Colleagues from neighbouring Hampshire Police had already dispatched officers to monitor influx of traffic into the area.

A decision was made to close the rave and sound equipment was seized. The rave was closed within two hours. No arrests were made.

Were you disturbed by noise from the rave on Saturday night at Crowthorne Woods? Or perhaps you were at the rave and thought it should not have been shut down by police? Please leave your comments below.

Inspector Jon Goosey, deputy commander for Bracknell Forest, said: "Thames Valley Police has a robust response to illegal music gatherings. We will work with our partners to prevent such gatherings taking place, and when they do, take swift and robust action to close them down.

"We understand the concern and disruption these illegal events can have on the local community and want to reassure people that we will always take robust action."

If you notice anyone acting suspiciously such as those conducting early reconnaissance on rural land or starting to set up an event, contact Thames Valley Police on 101 promptly with a description and location to help prevent a rave before it has started.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• DunMoaning
    71 posts
    Jan 8, 07:22

So why where owner of the cars not fined for illegal parking, trespass, and I am sure several over offences they broke.

When a resident wants to park at the Look out and access this area legally we have to pay.

It is time we prosecute the guilty or seize their cars - that would discourage them.

All the police had to do was log the number plates and send out the fines.

Recommend?   Yes 32     No 51

• TrouserLeg
    1 post
    Jan 8, 10:06

I was at this rave, and the brutal force the police used was unnesesary and completeley out of order. A number of "Teenagers" were hospitalised due to being hit with riot shields and sprayed with pepper spray. This force was not needed as the party wasnt causing anyone harm. For the public reading this article and think well done to the police for seizing the sound equiptment and stopping the party but the publisher forgot to highlight that Youngsters were injured and hospitalised!

Recommend?   Yes 53     No 30

• DunMoaning
    71 posts
    Jan 8, 10:34

If they had not been there illegally - they would not have got hurt.

Recommend?   Yes 37     No 43

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 8, 10:52

I was also at this party. I got to the party at around 12pm and it was not shut down until gone half 3.

all the facts this news team have been given by the police are wrong. the police got there and come in brutal, hitting people with riot sheilds, batons and Peper spray. that sounds like a normal thing to do in a riot but when nobody is fighting back or causing any problems its classed as police brutality. I have these images on camera and you can see a policeman hitting someone who is already on the ground and using pepper spray on someone trying to walk away. also there was no where near 200 people.. more like 50-60. the police will say this to make it sound like they have done a good job. there is a way to shut down parties, talking to the organiser is a good start, not beating the shit out of kids between the ages of 16-19. Hampshire police need to get a grip.

Recommend?   Yes 34     No 31

• Notroubleraver
    1 post
    Jan 8, 11:36

Police are lucky they didn't make that party serious for all they new we could have turned againt them propperly and made the situation so much worst but we didn't because we didn't want trouble we only wanted to party next time we will give the police the option of raiding tescos or something or having a party let them deside which we can do in peace !

Recommend?   Yes 18     No 31

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 8, 11:50

they say it was disturbing locals but where we were was nowhere near residential, commercial or industrial units. the parties we have are purposely out of the way so we dont disturb anyone. next time we should throw a party in the middle of a housing estate. at least then people have something to complain about. leave us alone unless we do wrong, until then the police should do their job,catch the theives, murderers, rapist, child molesters ect.. how many more serious crimes were commited Saturday night and not sorted because half the police force were stood around in the woods?

Recommend?   Yes 32     No 28

• atticus1
    1 post
    Jan 8, 12:38

I did not attend the event but have attended events such as these and have noted that i have never seen or heard much trouble, unlike when i go out clubbing or to licensed events in which fights are very common. I have also noted that the organisers place the parties far away from residential areas and clean up after themselves I am very worried at the miss information which can in tern be interpreted as lying by the Hampshire police force on the actions taken, i have also noticed that there were no noise complaints as this is usually mentioned in a press release and is normally the sole reason for these harmless gatherings to be put to an end. I am left wondering why is my tax money being spent on beating up kids in the woods when there was no damage or complaints caused?????

Recommend?   Yes 27     No 26

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 8, 12:48

ive been looking up on this online and the law states that if there are less than 100 people it is not classified as a rave. does this mean the police were in the wrong? is there a way we can tell from pictures there were less than 100 people?

Recommend?   Yes 19     No 30

• DunMoaning
    71 posts
    Jan 8, 14:11

You were on private land without permission - called trespassing.

Recommend?   Yes 32     No 16

• emilysophie
    3 posts
    Jan 8, 14:15

I attended this party, I left luckily just as the police were beginning to start a riot we did speak to an officer who agreed that we had turned the music down and it could not be heard from the end of the road! me and a few mates who own the equipment went up there the next day and was upset and astonished with the mess! however there would be no mess if the police had allowed us to carry on and then tidy up! we have respect for our area and do always tidy up after we have had our fun! we always put the parties away from residential areas so that people can't hear the music! the police went the wrong way about it and caused so much harm towards young people that it is wrong and actually would be classed as brutality! not only that a rave is when 100 or more people have a party! there was only about 60/70 people at this party! also to the person at the top get your facts right before you start saying our cars should be seized and stuff, it was not at the look out so we couldn't pay! how the police acted was out of order, there was one boy whose hand was badly cut up and a officer was threatening to set the dog on him as the boy was lying on the floor as he couldn't see because he was pepper sprayed, the boy ended up in hospital! it's disgusting the way these officers acted and the truth needs to be told about this party rather then people believing the police! they started a riot for their own amusement entirely!

Recommend?   Yes 22     No 26

• emilysophie
    3 posts
    Jan 8, 14:26

to 'dunmoaning' do exactly what your name says and stop moaning!! your wrong actually it's not private land it's where people walk and take their dogs! the morning after we went to see the mess the police made us leave, we saw an old couple who thought it was funny we had a party and they infact stated that they live close by and said they never heard a thing so the police rioted for no reason! you need to know the facts before you start mouthing off! the news and police lie all the time to make it seem like someone else is in the wrong!

Recommend?   Yes 14     No 29

• DunMoaning
    71 posts
    Jan 8, 15:12

Emily Sophie - I think it may belong to the Forestry Commision - you have legal rights to walk and cycle but not to hold illegal events and drive in there.

Recommend?   Yes 30     No 8

• Braddd
    1 post
    Jan 8, 16:38

We go to raves for repetitive beats, not repetitive beatings. The police were way to heavy handed, there wasn't even any trouble until they started it. I suppose it doesn't matter what actually happen because most people will just accept and side with the police. Open your eyes people.

Recommend?   Yes 13     No 26

• m5965m
    1 post
    Jan 8, 17:48

Ravinrabbit- you should go to the national news if you have video evidence...

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 23

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 8, 18:06

lead me In the right direction. who do I speak to, where do I go?

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 23

• emilysophie
    3 posts
    Jan 8, 21:02

Facebook message me ravinrabbit :) also dunmoaning if that's the case how come I have seen cars drive up there many times before this and they have also made the path not only wide enough for cars but have signs for cars to drive :)

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 23

• Georgie17
    3 posts
    Jan 8, 21:15

You can't clamp or seize someones car because they attended a scene which police were trying to clear up.

What about me, i was walking my dog between 1-2am, I would have had my car clamped for walking my dog. How would you tell who was there specifically for the party?

I'm not 100% accurate, but I was only there for half an hour.

The music was loud near the speakers but could hear barely anything when at the parking bay.

I've never been to a 'illegal music gathering' and felt pretty comfortable around the youths, which is surpising considering I obviously didn't fit in with my high-visibility jacket and Jasper, my Dog.

There wasn't such a mess when I left and I trust that they would have cleaned up after themselves. And I feel I could the trust party-goers, more than the police at this moment considering music was playing past 1pm, and the Police say ''The rave was closed within two hours'' - It wasn't.

I did see the use of pepper spray several times. I didn't see mass brutality, although I thought it was outrageous the way the police dealt with the situation!

Recommend?   Yes 10     No 24

• rubberbucket
    1 post
    Jan 8, 21:18

I attended this party aswell and this is the first time I've seen riot police at a rave. When the riot police started to move in I did not realise I looked to y left and saw the crowd running, I turned around and had 6 riot police pushing me into the speakers with their riot shields, they were telling me to move but I couldn't move atall they had blocked me in from both sides, I didn't really know wat to do an they were still screaming at me telling me to move. One of the police officers starte to pull out his mace, at this point I shit a brick and actually crumbled to the floor coz I didn't want to get sprayed thankfully I didn't and they left me alone after. I the. Got up and went behind the speakers to see a young 15-16 year ok girl on The floor, I don't know how she got there but the riot police were just stepping over her. I went to see if she was okay and the dog handlers that were there were tellin me to leave her alone and one tried kickin me away from her, I then saw a one of the riot police pick up his shield above his head, and then slammed the corner of it into on one of the ravers face, his nose was apsalutly pissing out with blood, and he was on the floor pretty much out cold and the idiot policeman just left him on the floor. I then retreated and went and stood out the way, luckly I didn't get shoved down the dirt track by the riot police because when Ye police left and the people came back, Half of the racers that scatteredand scared backing of from the shields were sprayed by mace most being young adults that didn't know about mace so where putting water on their face thinking it would help, but only a few will know that mace attacks moisture and putting water on it will make it 10 times worse. This should not of happend and I think it is fucked up that because there the police they get away with it. It is not right atall sort it out u bunch of arrogant idiot police officers, were there to have a good time. Most ravers know wat plur means an for those of you that don't it means peace-love-unity-respect. We come do the good vibes and have a good time not be brutally beaten and sprayed with mace by the police, enough said!!!!

Recommend?   Yes 13     No 27

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 9, 10:28

well said rubberbucket :) im going to take this to the ipcc (independant police complaints commission) but I think im going to need people who were there, witnessed what happened and people who got injured. because nobody can stand up against hampshire police alone..

Recommend?   Yes 9     No 22

• DunMoaning
    71 posts
    Jan 9, 14:11

ravinrabbit unlikey to get far with Hampshire Police as they were not even present?

As for people coming forward and admitting they were trespassing and holding a un official party on forestry commission land is very unlikely.

Recommend?   Yes 21     No 6

• Georgie17
    3 posts
    Jan 9, 15:00

What's the difference between a load of youths listening to music on a boombox on a field, to listening to music on a few boomboxes in the woods?

Not Much.

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 17

• Georgie17
    3 posts
    Jan 9, 15:11

For anyone that thought not to reccomend my comment, fancy letting me know why?

What did you disagree with that i said?

Kind Regards, Georgie.

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 16

• ravinrabbit
    7 posts
    Jan 9, 19:31

emilysophie... whats your fb short cut.. I typed your name and hundreds come up :p

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

• Patumi
    2 posts
    Jan 11, 21:19

The poster who says that the rave wasn't disturbing anyone is mistaken, I live near

the Lookout in Bracknell and was kept awake by the thumping bass. People don't seem to be aware just how far bass frequencies travel. Seriously, it was loud enough to make me think that my neighbours were having a party.

I've got nothing against people having a good time, but if you're going to talk about PLUR then you have to consider other people around you, otherwise, well, you're just a selfish hypocrite.

The police response seemed a bit heavy handed though, after all they were dealing with people out to have a good time, not rioters.

Recommend?   Yes 14     No 2

• blackbird95
    1 post
    Jan 13, 15:39

I am so lucky I got lost in sandhurst on the way to find it but when I heard the police were there.

That is completely out of order of the police, taking advantage of vunerable children in the dark. They wonder why people don't respect police when they get treated like that when they havent done anything wrong, even worse from a younger age because it sets in.

Don't get me wrong I know some quite safe and sound policeman officers I get along with but there are some I try to avoid because they ask to many questions. I'm in favour of the attentants because from what I read they behaved and that should never lead to extreme police 'action'

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 11

• najp1987
    2 posts
    Jan 13, 21:36

no offence to either side here but the video doesn't do anything for the rave's deffence as you can clearly see several things being thrown at the police! clearly the rave could be heard by the community or the police wouldnt have been any the wiser and after the last rave that was closed down when there were numerous complaints about the sound etc what do you expect to happen. for every one saying they were not doing anything wrong then how can you explain being on private land without permision, and any one saying that the police were brutal to youths then what the hell are youths out for at 2am? im as up for having a good time as the next person but there were several laws broken end off. and anyone saying about putting complaints in to the ipcc then well done your standing up to a crime that YOU COMMITTED. if people are claiming to have been hit with shields etc and there face was pouring with blood put the pictures up as then people may be on your side regardless of what reason the police had to do it. if any one has got photos of the numbers of police vs raver's then send them to the police chief constable etc for an explination. if any one does claim police brutality then follow through with an official complaint as they cant use excessive force and should be dealt with accordingly.

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 0

• Danhev
    1 post
    Jan 14, 14:06

For all you that say this did not disturb anyone in the area how do you know?? Did you go and ask the people living in the area?? As I can quite catagorically say that it did, and I live approximately two miles from where you held this illegal rave. So I was glad when the police finally arrive to stop it to get some peace and quite !! You shouldnt have been there in the first place ! Go find somewhere else next time..

Recommend?   Yes 12     No 1

• HappyHardcoreRaver
    2 posts
    Jan 17, 02:10

i also went to this rave, for starters there was no were near 200 people, maybe 50-80 max.

-the rave was shut down about 3:30.

-the police made an attempt to shut it down at around 1 ish, and as they drove up in the van we all moved out of the way and were in no way violent then when they decided to turn around we helped them back up their van so they didn't back up into a ditch.

-when they returned the second time in numbers, we tried to move aside but the position the rig was set up in was narrow stretch stopping us from moving because of the police borderlines.

-i and most others got photos/videos of them using unnecessary force with their shields spray bats and dogs.

-90% of the ravers were submissive and tried to move out of the way.

the minority only became violent in retaliation of the 'officers' basically using they're powers to beat us in effect.

they confiscated the amps the generators and some cables but i don't understand why they felt the need to start smashing up the speakers etc they'd shut it down they'd taken the vital bits away, them kicking the speakers was just them being malicious.

i understand perfectly that these 'events' are illegal, and anyone that attends these on a regular basis will no that we try to stay as far away from any house's or community's as possible, we respect the fact that not everyone would like to stay up until the sun comes up, and that's one of the reasons why we go so deep into the woods.

these raves may be illegal but they're keeping us occupied with our weekends,

9/10 members of the public say that when they walk to they're local shops, through the town center, walking through the streets they feel intimidated by groups of youths hanging about on the streets, not all of us can afford to go clubbing and pay for overly priced drinks, all of us attending these raves are of the of the streets having a good time with our friends trying to enjoy ourselves away from the public.

other then us 'trespassing' they res no other crimes committed, at to all of you complaining that they're was free parking etc who do you no that walks through the woods as deep as we were at 3 am?

the parking?... they're were 2 maybe 3 cars at most and the van to load up the equipment with, they're was no parking spaces it was on a trail in the woods.

i'll apologize to anyone that was 'disrupted' by the noise with kids etc, but i walked from the roadside and i could only just faintly hear it.

were causing no one harm

we might have been trespassing on a bit of land (that no ones using at the times we are)

and making a bit of noise..

But unless you're prepared give us a FREE plot of land far enough away from the public that its not a problem without police presence then deal with it.

were happy hardcore ravers

this is one of the many clips backing up my statement showing 'police officers' beating submissive ravers and receive a retaliation as a result.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one of many that have already gone viral.

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 10

• HappyHardcoreRaver
    2 posts
    Jan 17, 02:53

please tell me how these are violent or casuing an issue?

Recommend?   Yes 1     No 7

• Patumi
    2 posts
    Jan 17, 16:18

As I've pointed out before, if the ravers think that they're not making much noise and not disturning anyone, then they are either mistaken, or simply don't care.

They are having a good time at the expense of others and this is not acceptable. If someone stopped them from going to sleep then they wouldn't like it either.

Yes it's sad that the poster above feels as though he and his friends don't have anywhere to hang out; although its a bit of a leap from hanging outside the shops to raving until the sun comes up, listening to music so loud that it's audible a mile and a half away.

Putting the behaviour of the police to one side. The facts are that this group was trespassing on private land and were a public nuisance. The rules of the land state that this is illegal and the authorities acted. You might not think that it's fair but that's how it is.

Recommend?   Yes 6     No 3

• MTB1973
    2 posts
    Jan 23, 17:10

This is not the first time this has happened.

I am GLAD the police have done something about this.

I have had to cycle through the aftermath of a similar rave in the same place on a Sunday morning(reported to police) with the smell of stale beer, weed, vomit, urine and faeces in the air......disgusting and savage.

Cars parked all over the place in a forest, people passed out all over the place, some still bearly standing still drinking and smoking weed at 10 in the morning.

I had lots of fun at Raves nineties till mid 00 , but nothing as disgusting as this lot.

These ravers should get a life and go rave in a club!

I feel no pity for these youths, there are places for Raves and there were countless legal reasons why they shouldn't be there.

Really...... Have fun!!! but don't be a menace to the rest of society.....

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 1