Firefighters from Bracknell and Wokingham Fire Stations were called to the second-storey flat in Chadwick Mews, Easthampstead at 2.50pm today (Sunday).
The brigade said it seemed the middle-aged man had gone back inside the flat, where a fire had started at the cooker in the kitchen. Some kitchen units were destroyed and the flat was smoke damaged.
Watch manager Gary Nash said: "If you have a fire in a property, the message is to get out, stay out and call 999. Also, check you smoke alarm once a week."
Firefighters were there until 3.50pm.