Elderly left with no hot water for a week in South Ascot road

Published: 1 Jun 2014 12:300 comments

A HOUSING association has come under fire after elderly residents in South Ascot were left without hot water for almost a week.

People living in Crown Hill Court, sheltered accommodation, which is owned and operated by Radian, were without hot water and heating from Saturday, May 17, through to last Friday.

Both occupants and relatives raised concerns about the situation, which left many residents without suitable washing or cleaning facilities.

Resident Joy Billings, 89, said she was concerned that many pensioners who live in the complex would have to carry boiling hot water from room to room, saying this would be dangerous as many of the elderly tenants are unsteady on their feet.

She said: “I can’t believe we had to wait a week to get the hot water going again.

“Some of us would have had to transport hot water from room to room just to get washed.

“It was dangerous and just an accident waiting to happen. It meant we could not have a shower and not even have a wash either – a proper wash meant we’d have to fill up three kettles’ worth. It just does not seem like Radian cares at all. It seems to have gone on and on and nothing was being done quick enough.”

Trevor Knight, whose mother Jean Knight is a relative of Crown Hill Court, added that it was not the first time that tenants had been without hot water for a considerable period of time.

“It is just disgraceful the way the residents are being treated there, it is atrocious.

“There were without hot water for some time over the Christmas period too and other times before that – it just doesn’t seem to end.”

The hot water was restored to residents on Friday, with Radian offering all residents who were affected compensation.

In a statement, Radi-an said: “We regret that the communal boilers at Crown Hill Court failed last weekend. Radian does care about the safety and wellbeing of all of our residents.

“We reacted immediately to this problem and a gas engineer came out to inspect the boilers on the Saturday but unfortunately, he could not effect a repair as the fault was electrical and a replacement part was required which had to be ordered.

“This arrived on Friday morning and we are pleased to report that the boilers are working again.

“All residents who do not have their own showers have been offered the use of the shower facilities in the guest room and, all residents have sinks in their kitchens which are near their kettles so, there should have been no need for anybody to walk from room to room with a kettle.

“We will be providing

compensation to all aff-

ected residents now that this issue is resolved.”

Jump to first paragraph.


Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.